Who Are We:
First 8 Memphis (F8M) works to ensure every child in Memphis and Shelby County can reach their full potential by building a strong start during the first 8 years of life. We are leaders, conveners, and advocates working to implement, scale, and improve the early care and education system for young children during their most critical developmental years. In our first three years we have made Memphis and Shelby County the first city/county in Tennessee to establish a universal needs-based Pre-Kindergarten (Pre-K) program for every income-eligible child reaching more than 65% of children in our community. We have accelerated community performance measures for Pre-K achievement, including continuous performance improvement reviews of teaching/learning practices & family wraparound services. We convene a multi-sector early care and education Leadership Council to drive early childhood collective impact in our community. Our growth and success has led us to create a new role of Director of Finance & Operations to oversee our expanding investments and ensure the prudent use of public and private funds as we further build out the early care and education system. The Director of Finance & Operations will help create a community where every child has the resources to thrive.
What We Are Looking For:
The Director of Finance & Operations is a new role created for a visionary, strategic and execution-oriented leader who will guide our organization through the next level of financial and operational management, sustainability, and innovation. The Director of Finance & Operations will serve as the primary financial manager for the organization and as a strategic advisor for the Executive Director and Board of Directors. In addition, they will work across the organization to build and lead the operational infrastructure, systems, and processes that enable us to drive impact.
What Will Be Expected:
Finance & Accounting
- Develop and implement financial planning and operational strategies that position F8M to scale impact sustainably.
- Lead the financial operations and accounting functions such as payroll, accounts payables, general ledger reconciliation, account receivables and invoicing, grant management, asset management, budgeting, procurement, contracts and compliance, treasury management, expense management, financial reporting, revenue recognition, and cash flow management.
- Develop a best-in-class financial infrastructure, including processes, procedures, and systems, that ensure the organization maximizes business efficiencies.
- Establish and maintain the financial reporting systems, procedures and controls needed to ensure accurate reporting and regulatory compliance.
- Work cross-functionally to effectively make strategic investment and capacity management decisions that mitigate risks.
- Develop and monitor internal controls to steer F8M’s long-term financial and operational strategies.
- Prepare timely and accurate financial information for the Board of Directors, City of Memphis and Shelby County Commission.
- Administer payments to operators, run batch reports, and conduct annual fiscal training with Early Care and Education operators.
- Manage the portfolio of grants, including grant reporting, expense reclassification, invoicing, budget management and amendments, compliance, and corrective actions.
- Manage key operational functions that support F8M to include, HR, safety, and technology and data budgets, timelines and vendor management.
- Develop and continuously improve the organizational infrastructure of F8M to include the design and implementation of systems, processes, policies and standard operating procedures.
- Refine and build a sustainable, scalable, cost-efficient operational infrastructure that supports our internal and programmatic growth model.
- Develop and implement effective accountability systems to assess and drive progress toward key strategic priorities and key performance indicators.
- Ensure F8M is operating in compliance with all federal, state, and local laws and ordinances.
Other duties as assigned.
What Is Needed to Be Successful:
The Director of Finance & Operations must have a high competency level, demonstrate strong people management and communication skills, have substantial experience in financial management, forecasting, and planning and have operational experience in improving organizational infrastructure. In addition, the ideal candidate must be “hands-on,” proficient in various technical applications, adaptable and strategic yet tactical and ready to roll-up their sleeves to work in a growth environment.
Education & Certification/License Credentials
- An undergraduate degree in business administration, finance, financial management, audit/accounting, or a similar field is required.
- An advanced degree (MBA, Master in Finance, or Master in Accounting) is advantageous.
- A CPA or CFA is not required but is considered highly valued.
Functional Competencies — Skills, Knowledge & Experience
- At least 5 years of mid-to-senior professional experience in a financial operational leadership position.
- Demonstrated experience in overseeing and coordinating the business functions of an organization, including HR, IT, and compliance.
- Strong knowledge of non-profit accounting, auditing, and financial requirements.
- Acumen in designing complex and scalable systems and processes.
- An ability to cross-functionally provide advice, counsel, recommendations, and reports to the Executive Director.
- An individual who has a deep understanding of financial forecasting/reporting, budgeting, systems integration, and financial planning and analysis.
- Prior responsibility for the successful coordination and completion of an annual external audit process.
- An exceptional project manager who can exceed expectations for deliverables consistently.
Leadership & Management/Behavioral Competencies
- A demonstrated track record and commitment to diversity, equity, and inclusion which are paramount and aligned with our organizational culture and objectives.
- Ability to feel at home working at a visionary/strategic level but brings very strong execution and implementation skills. Ability to critically assess challenges and identify flexible, effective solutions, a demonstrated track record of success in organizational change management.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills.
- One who can drill down on business topics and translate findings to a broad audience.
- Prior successful experience leading, managing and developing staff.
- Strong executive presence: one who can present well in a clear and concise manner.
- Can travel approximately 10% of time around Shelby County and, potentially, statewide and nationally.
- An entrepreneurial, self-motivated spirit.
- Embraces ambiguity and is adaptable, flexible, and comfortable with constant change.
- Collaborative team player who is an excellent active listener.
- An unwavering commitment to F8M’ mission, vision and values.
- Has a growth mindset and uses feedback to improve practice.
Our Commitment and Compensation:
We are committed to an inclusive, fair, and equitable workplace where everyone is respected and valued as a member of the team. We strive to attract, develop, and retain exceptional people that reflect the diversity of the children and families we serve; and to create a work environment that is dynamic, rewarding, and enables each of us to realize our potential. Our work environment is safe and open to all employees and partners, respecting the full spectrum of races, ethnicities, national origins, ages, sexual orientations, gender identities, beliefs, religions, faiths and ideologies, cultures, socio-economic backgrounds and levels of physical ability.
What We Offer
The salary range for this role is $90,000 – $110,000, commensurate with experience. Benefits include standard health, dental and 401K retirement plan, with a match, and a professional development stipend. F8M offers a hybrid work environment and a generous holiday schedule, including office closure for the last week of December.
How to Apply
Please send your cover letter and resume to email@example.com with the subject line: “Director of Finance & Operations – Your Name” by October 27, 2023.
Job expires in 30 days.
Credit: Source link